Translate

Friday 30 August 2013

Friday's Ferrari

This is a car I photographed at the London Motor Show at Earls Court in October 1963.


It's a Ferrari 250 LM, serial number 5149, and the official Ferrari website says that the car was introduced at the Paris Motor Show in October 1963, which must have been in the early part of that month as the London show ran from 16th to 26th of October. The Wikipedia website says this about the 250 LM:

250 LM

The mid-engined 250 Le Mans looked every bit the prototype racer but was intended to be produced as a road-going GT. Descended from the 250 P, the Le Mans also appeared in 1963 and sported Pininfarina bodywork. Ferrari was unable to persuade the FIA that he would build the 100 examples required to homologate the car for GT racing. Eventually, 32 LMs were built up to 1965. As a result, Ferrari withdrew from factory participation in the GT class of the 1965 World Sportscar Championship, allowing the Shelby Cobra team to dominate the class. Only the very early LM's were true 250 models, with all the rest made as 3300cc models and as such should have been named 275 LM (the early cars were also converted to the 3300cc engine)


2 comments:

  1. I'm collecting some articles or photographs of Ferrari 250LM prototype.
    I'm wondering if I can buy these photos of 250LM at the London Motor Show at Earls Court in October 1963 from you. (I'd like to buy any other 250LM photos together if you have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I've got other photographs of the Ferrari 250LM. I'll have a look through my collection and if you email me on keapardave@gmail.com I'm sure we can sort something out.

    ReplyDelete