Translate

Thursday 18 December 2014

What is it?

I took this photograph at the Silverstone Historic Tribute meeting in June 2004 where, as usual, I didn't take a note of any of the cars I'd photographed thinking that I could identify everything later. I've had no luck with this one though. There was no lettering on the car to identify the make but I remember looking at the tax disc and I'm pretty sure the name of the car was shown as three initials (as in BMW, TVR etc) and the badge above the number plate seems to indicate some Scottish connection. As the photograph shows, it was in a group of cars publicising a Coys auction, but I've done a thorough search on the internet and can't find a photograph or anything whatsoever about the car. A check on a car registration number site shows that the number OGS 525 now belongs to a Daimler SP250 Sports - I suppose it could have been built on an SP250 chassis, but those cars weren't introduced till 1959 and the car in the photograph looks a little bit older than that.

Update 4 Jan 2015: Someone has responded to my photograph of this car on Flickr to say that it's a 1955 HAR and you can read all about the car here.

2 comments:

  1. Seems to have been a creation starting around 1955 in Scotland by Dennis Ramsay. He had Horace A Richards (H.A.R) build a chassis for him, and acquired a Swallow Doretti body when that company ceased making the Dorettis. Over a period of a few years slowly it came together and then purchased a Daimler donor car (i assumed a wrecked one) for the disc brakes, V8 engine and instruments. more info here
    https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/2016-45/solved-pj40-h-a-r-sports-racing-daimler-special-roadster-1955/

    ReplyDelete