Translate

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Aston Martin DB2 at Oulton Park

I didn't realise until I was back home and looking at the photographs I had taken at the Aston Martin Owners Club meeting at Oulton Park in May this year just how many photographs I had taken of one particular car.
It's not shown in the programme of the event, but it's the 1951 Aston Martin DB2 Lightweight of Glynn Allen and Julian Bailey-Watts, photographed here in the paddock.
It took part in two races at the meeting, the AMOC '50s Sports Car race and the Equipe GTS race.
The practicing/qualifying took place in the morning starting at 8.30, the racing started at 1.30 in the afternoon, and I went to various parts of the circuit throughout the day to watch and take photographs.
This is the map of the circuit printed in the programme. and I first went to Lodge Corner to watch the early part of practice.
Here's the DB2 at Lodge Corner
During that practice session I walked down to Old Hall Corner.....
.....where one of the photographs I took was of the same car.
After the lunch interval I went to Druids Corner for the first race then made my way to the furthest part of the circuit at Shell Oils Corner to watch the next couple of races.
Race 2 was the '50s Sports Car race and I took another photograph of the Aston going through the Britten's chicane. It was driven in this race by Darren Roberts.
I walked round towards Shell Oils Corner and took my next photograph of the car as it approached Island Bend.
From that point you can see the whole of Shell Oils Corner, as the next photograph shows - I took it to show the whole of the loop, but the car you can see on the extreme right of the group of 3 cars is the DB2.
When I first started going to Oulton Park in 1955 the corner was known as Esso Bend and spectators could only go round to just short of where Britten's chicane is now, so you couldn't see the loop at all.
Here's the Aston coming round the last part of the loop.....
.....and approaching the Britten's chicane.

The Equipe GTS race was Race 4 and when that race was in progress I was walking round the inside of the circuit from Cascades towards Old Hall Corner.
Here's the Aston approaching Cascades, being driven in Race 4 - the Equipe GTS race - by Glynn Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment